Enterprise content management tools can be used to help you handle information and workflow through automation by enhancing your institution’s existing ERP. Raise your hand if you truly understood that statement.
The jargon used to explain how your day-to-day processes can be made easier with software can certainly be confusing. How is it helpful to be confused before you’ve even looked at the software?
Instead of nodding in agreement to the lingo, use this list of common terms to learn how your institution or organization can move toward greater efficiency.
- Enterprise Content Management (ECM) is a formalized means of managing and storing an organization’s internal, often unstructured information, in all of its forms.
- Business Process Management (BPM), commonly referred to as workflow, is a way of efficiently controlling the processes that are present in an organization.
- Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) is a database software that allows an organization to store information.
- Document imaging or imaging, allows organizations to convert physical, paper-based information to digital files that are stored electronically.
- Capture is the process of extracting and storing content.
- Indexing occurs after the content has been captured. Key terms are added to categorize the information and provide the ability to search and retrieve from your database.
- Optical character recognition (OCR) is the electronic conversion of digitized images with typewritten or printed content into computer-readable text. The Softdocs solution, Doc e Serve, can intelligently extract data to pick out the exact information needed.
- E-forms have more capabilities than fillable PDFs. They are dynamic and adjust according to the information provided. Fields can be pre-populated with a user’s data from your ERP system. Once complete, e-forms can automatically route to the correct reviewer based on the information entered. This not only ensures you receive the answers needed, but also establishes timely workflow by showing the status and viewing history for an accurate audit trail.
- Records conversion is the act of transferring physical documents, microfilm and microfiche to digital images that can be stored and retrieved. Conversion also occurs when a new ERP system is installed. Records from your old, legacy ERP must be properly transferred into your new system.
- Evive is Softdocs’ managed off-site backup solution. It ensures your most sensitive data remains intact.