Over the last several months, the Auto File team at Softdocs has been making enhancements to Auto File, paying particular attention to administration tasks and overall performance of the application. We have addressed commonly reported issues and added new archive building tools to assist with creating and organizing archives. Over the next few weeks our Professional Services team will be contacting customers to schedule new installations and upgrades to the latest Auto File version.
What are some of the new features?
- Support for Internet Explorer 11 is provided for Silverlight applications.
- Rather than minimizing to the system tray, the Auto File client closes when clicking the “X” in the top right corner.
- In Archive Builder, administrators now have the ability to rename document types.
- Administrators can copy key fields (and optionally RegEx configurations) from one document type to others, either in the sam
e or across different archives.
What are some of the issues fixed in the latest Auto File?
- When scanning documents in full color or gray-scale, users would often receive “Cannot file document” and “Out of memory” error messages; usually when documents exceeded 20-25 pages.
- Date formats were not showing 2-digit values for month and day causing inconsistent index formats between Auto File and the document imaging system.
- An issue in which users were unable to select more than one page with consistent, expected results.
- Users could not file documents from archives that had a date key field in a folder level.
- Inconsistent ordering of key fields for documents within the same archive.
- In Archive Builder, if an admin entered a document type or key field with either leading or trailing spaces, unexpected results occurred when importing those documents into the imaging system.
What can we expect during an installation or upgrade?
- For new installations, system administrators will be trained how to configure Auto File archives and document types as well as how to import Auto File’d documents into the imaging system. An admin training session generally takes 2 ½ to 4 hours. Administrators will be responsible for installing the Auto File client, scanner (TWAIN) drivers, and the Archive Builder admin tool where applicable.
- For upgrades, a scheduled down-time should be planned so that the new Auto File Archive Manager service can be updated on the server. Administrators will need to visit each Auto File workstation to uninstall the old version and install the new Auto File client. Archive Builder will need to be uninstalled and reinstalled on administrator workstations as well. Downtime depends on how quickly the client workstations can be updated.
We continue to improve performance and bring new features to the Auto File application. Future enhancements will allow the splitting of multi-page PDF and TIF images in the Auto File client, as well as incorporating Etrieve security for user access and the administration of archives, documents, and key fields.
We look forward to working with each of our customers on new installations and upgrades. If you’re ready to schedule or have additional questions, contact us today.